We are in Santa Monica often….and a girl’s got to eat, right? These are my favorite places to eat with Charles. Some of them are not actually in Santa Monica, but worth the trip!
10. Gladstone’s- Location! Location! Gladstone’s 4 Fish is directly off PCH in Malibu. My favorite time to eat here is during stunning sunsets. Play on the beach while you wait for your food.
9. Cora’s Coffee Shop – Fabulous farm fresh food, varied menu, and an adorable outdoor patio framed by an iron arbor make this place one of my favorites for breakfast or lunch.
8. Pinks’s – What can I say….It’s Pinks and it’s Hollywood. The hot dogs are legendary and the chili is worth the trip! Do not be discouraged by the line and embrace the experience. Your kids will thank you for it. Yum!
7. Paradise Cove Beach Cafe – This place just makes me happy. It’s secluded location is worth the scenic drive up PCH and a hit with the locals. Come, dig your feet in the sand, and watch your kids build sandcastles steps from your table. I highly recommend the guacamole and fish tacos!
6. the Trails Cafe - Griffith park = family fun…and when your little ones get hungry, head to the Trails Cafe! The outdoor picnic benches and woodsy scenery cannot be beat. I’m obsessed with the Avocado Sandwich and Charles gobbles up the Waffles and Snake Dogs. I have never escaped without sampling one of their delicious homemade pies or pastries. Be sure to bring cash!
5. M Cafe – Macrobiotic cuisine never tasted so good. How they make amazing food without eggs, dairy, refined sugars, red meat or poultry beats me, but I don’t care…I eat it. If this spot were to migrate to Manhattan, I would eat here regularly. On your way out, grab some nori sesame snacks and chocolate truffles.
4. Shima – Don’t let the fact they only roll with brown rice scare you….this sushi is to die for. So fresh, so buttery, and so delightful. Shima is an Abbot Kinney treasure.
3. Axe – Yes, please! I could eat here every night and be the happiest woman alive. I could eat a mountain of flatbread and spreads. This is the kind of restaurant that when the food comes, you are jealous of everyone’s meal, but wouldn’t dare change what you ordered.
2. Huckleberry – Yes, there will be a line and yes, it is worth it! My favorite meal is breakfast and Huckleberry has perfected the art of pastries, sweet and savory breakfasts. This is my kind of joint! You arrive, stand in a line to order your food, sit and wait, and then indulge. You will want to go back for lunch and dinner as well. Check out the chalkboard for daily specials inspired by local farmer’s market produce.
1. Capo – Perfection. I dream about this place. It’s our first place we go once our plane touches down and the elegantly rustic neighborhood dining room welcomes us back each time. No other restaurant can get pasta, steak and fish done so right. I am obsessed. My favorites are the heirloom tomatoes and burrata starter, the fire-place grilled steak, and the blackened salmon. And you can’t go wrong with any of the desserts.