I found this recipe and thought it fit perfect for Charles’ Harry Potter themed birthday party. These owl faces are ADORABLE and super easy to make and decorate.
Ingredients: Makes 20 cookies
- your favorite sugar cookie recipe
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 20 whole cashews
- 1/2 cup frosting (favorite recipe)
- candy pieces (I choose chocolate chips, plain and peanut M&M’s)
1. Divide dough in three sections. Knead the flour into one piece of cookie dough until smooth, set aside. Combine the remaining 2 pieces of cookie dough and knead in the cocoa powder until smooth, set aside.
2. Form the lighter colored dough into a 1-inch round log about 10 inches long. Roll out the chocolate dough on a lightly floured surface to a 10 x 4-inch rectangle. Place the log of cookie dough on top of the chocolate rectangle. Wrap the chocolate dough completely around the log. Pinch edges to seal and roll the log smooth. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut the cookie log into 1/4-inch slices. Place 2 slices, side by side, on sheet pans. Press a cashew into cookie at the point the slices touch. Bake for 8-11 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on a wire rack.
4. Use the frosting to pipe eyelashes and a dot to secure candy eyes.
These cookies are simple to make, fun to decorate, adorable and yummy! The kids loved these creative cookies which were an absolute hit at the party. They are a HOOT!